Monday, January 24, 2011

Christina D. - Salamanca, Spain - Spring 2011

lunes 24 de enero de 2011


No Spain, no gain

Hola a todos!!

My first week here has been absolutely amazing! Although it took me a few days to adjust to the 7 hour time change, my sleep schedule and appetite are back on track.


The first thing I noticed when arriving to Spain was the signs in the airport. They were in English, this bothered me because I came here to learn Spanish and struggle in  doing so!  Once I got to my destination of Salamanca, Spain I discovered that NOTHING was in English and my Señora doesn't speak a drop of English, either. The immersion had begun once I stepped foot inside of the casa.

If you are looking for complete immersion in any language, I think finding a smaller town is perfect. Unlike bigger cities like Madrid and Barcelona, not a lot of people here know English therefore in all situations I am forced to speak Spanish around the clock, which was exactly what I wanted before coming here and I am glad I have it right under my nose!


The food here is excellent. They eat a lot of soups, pastas, breads, fruits, basically all really healthy delicious foods.  What I also enjoy is that everyone in Europe walks around from place to place which is both good for the environment and for ones health.



One thing that I do not like very much is that European people never smile at strangers. Everyone stares at everyone else and doesn't look too happy doing so. I know that once I get home the smiles will be great to see!
Overall, I love Spain! ¡Ole! 

Editor's Note:  If you would like to follow Christina's personal blog while she's studying in Salamanca, you can visit the following link:  
http://christinaenespana.blogspot.com/2011/01/no-spain-no-gain.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christina!
It sounds like you are having a great time. I was wondering if you could speak a little more about bits of culture shock, aside from smiling aspect, that you have been experiencing.
Angela Crawford

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela!
I am having a great time! Aside from the lack of smiling here, foods are definitely different, Spanish people eat something from each food group in a day. Also, this is HUGE-a true Spanish custom is to arrive late to everything. My university class is scheduled to start 4:00 but usually doesn't start until 4:15 or 4:20. For me this took getting used to because I am always early to everything. Last but not least, their concept of family is different than ours in the US. My señora has someone over to visit everyday (one of her 10 kids usually)!

I hope I answered your question sufficiently!
If not, ask another!
Christina

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home