Friday, February 03, 2012

Rachel H. - Oxford, England - Spring 2012


Hey EC students. I am currently at CMRS and am having a total blast. Don't listen to what anyone says about it being school work and no fun stuff. There is time for fun stuff as long as you have time management. For example I am writing this blog instead of a paper, so I won't have time for fun stuff tonight. That is my choice.

But it's been great, seriously. We have adventured to all of these sick pubs and are also frequent customers at our local McDonald's. Its really the best of both worlds. There's this one place that has 5 pound pizzas on thursday so we've been there a few times. The pizza is yummy. So is the Indian food. Nom nom nom. 

I am learning some intense stuff in my classes and it is really a rewarding experience. A lot of the learning here is done independently with guidance from a tutor so I am building a relationship with some of the smartest individuals that I will ever have the opportunity to encounter in my life, specifically in this field. It's definitely an honor. Plus English people have this weird sense of humor where you're like, "Is this supposed to be funny? Can I laugh at him right now?"

I am really glad I am here. It is seriously so beautiful and interesting and all that stuff you want from a study away experience. English people are awkward, but you'll get used to it. Also sometimes it is just like Harry Potter in a really hilarious way and its hard not to feel like a straight up muggle around all these magical old buildings and stuff. We have to wear robes to dinner. This is not a joke.

Ask me questions if you want! Ok.

Rachel

10 Comments:

Anonymous Christine M said...

Hey Rachel! I am also going to England, but to London for the summer for an internship. Your experience sounds amazing! What do you recommend seeing/doing during free time?

When you arrived in England did you experience any culture shock? What was it like?

5:22 PM  
Blogger Alexa K. said...

I will be attending Wales in the Fall... I am also curious about your experience with culture shock? How have you managed it, if you had it?

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Ryszard D. said...

How easy was it to make a strong friendship relationship with the people in the culture? Are they overall friendly and interactive with each other or do they prefer to keep to themselves?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Alexa K. said...

Hi Rachel -

One more question - how did you go about picking your classes?

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine:

During free time I like to go to pubs, explore the parks, eat out, go to London, and go on facebook. Oxford is a really accessible city, as is London, so there is a lot to do within walking distance or a short public transportation journey. The London Underground is so easy to navigate and really well operated. Also the bus systems, once you get used to them, have to be taken advantage of.

I did not experience any culture shock at all. England is a lot like the US as far as mannerisms, media, and general social activities. They watch the same movies and shows as us. I know Alice to be wary of Ethnocentrism - but i felt the complete opposite. I didn''t realize how much American culture dominates everything. The only thing to adjust to is things like Pub culture and getting used to being recognized as American constantly.

-Rachel

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexa:

Yeah like I said earlier I didn't experience any culture shock. It might be because I have been to London for a short trip before and also I have previous international travel experience. But the things that presented difficulty adjusting too were small things, like store clerks saying "You Alright?" instead of "How are you?" and saying "Cheers" for every goddamn word they feel like.

But seriously, everyone here is way exposed to American culture and a ton of the youth culture here seems to be steeped in it. Celebrities, sports, clothes, etc. So that really makes everything here more accessible.

-Rachel

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexa:

Sorry I didn't see the second question!

Ok so like my program has specified courses that we registered for during the application process. I just choose the courses that would fulfill the Gen Ed and Minor requirements I was looking for. However, this is unique for a study abroad experience because I didn't go through any university, everything was filtered through my program.

Sorry that's not too helpful but I am sure someone else on here can be of more use.

-Rachel

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rsyzard:

Probably the best places to meet people are out at clubs or pubs, through school activities, or through hobbies like open mike nights.

I actually have a boyfriend here that I met like the second week I got here at a club. So yeah, its easy. You have to be careful you're not meeting a bunch of drunk idiots but I guess that depends on where you go to socialize.

I highly recommend getting involved in school activities as much as possible. For example, one of the guys in our program joined a ukulele club and made a ton of friends and also connections through those people.

I kind of lucked out meeting my boyfriend so early in the semester, especially becuase he is super firendly and stuff. But based on my experience with him and his friends they are all super nice and friendly. His family is also really open to me! They even invited me over to Easer Dinner. So I really haven't met anyone who keeps to themselves.

Just like in the States some people are gonna be dickheads and some people are nice.

-Rachel

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys, my grammar and spelling was pretty bad for all of these responses. My apologies! Please just ignore that.

-Rachel

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever have any to travel to other countries in Europe?

-Tom Rein.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home