Thursday, October 04, 2012

Angela K. - Chester, England - Fall 2012



Greetings from Chester, UK!!
My name is Angie and I'm studying for a semester in Chester, UK and I'm so happy of the placement I've chosen. I've been here for two weeks already, but school has just started today. The first week was designed so that international students could get to know one another. I love the group of friends I've made. I now have friends from Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, the US, Australia, Canada, and so many more! The second week the freshman, otherwise known as the freshers, came to Chester and havoc broke loose! We were warned that the freshers week was one of the craziest weeks we'd experience, and they weren't lying! Students celebrated starting the school year off all day every day for a week straight! I couldn't keep up with the British ways so I took a couple nights off to plan some trips across Europe instead!
Chester is lovely town with some of the most beautiful architecture I've ever seen. Chester is equipped with a roman built wall that surrounds the city. It's a lovely walk around the city. Great for photographic reasons as well as a different view of the city. About half of the wall is currently being restored so we'd have to get off and find where it started back up, but that was the best part because we were in the part of the city that we were unfamiliar with so we were forced to explore and find some hidden gems of the city. 

The location of Chester is fantastic because we are 40 minutes away from Manchester and Liverpool and Wales is only 20 minutes away. We've already explored Liverpool many times and me being a huge Beatles fan found Liverpool to be amazing for it's the birthplace of the band. A trip to Wales and Snowdonia is this weekend and I couldn't be more excited. I have found a great group of friends here that all share the same interest in traveling and we already have trips to Spain, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Amsterdam, and more planned out! What a great semester it's going to be!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Catie A said...

Hey Angela, I love your photos of Chester! The town looks almost medieval. It is also interesting that British students actually celebrate the start of school, while in the U.S. it seems that most kids dread it. Anyways, have fun while your there!

Catie A

10:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That place looks amazing! I am working on my class schedule for next spring when I study abroad. I was just wondering now that you have started classes do you think they are more difficult than the ones you took at Elmhurst or about the same? Also, how many classes are you taking? Does it seem like a lot of work if your taking five classes rather than the normal four at Elmhurst?

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you have already planned so many trips so early! I want to do the same thing while I'm abroad. What did you find is the most efficient way in terms of cost and time spent traveling to make that happen? Have a great time!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Grace Benvenuti said...

Sounds exciting! I'd love to take a trip to Liverpool when I study in England next semester.
Are you experiencing any culture shock?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your posts are so exciting, I am sure you are enjoying every part of your experience. But is there anything about Chester that is hard to get used to?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

It sounds beautiful in Chester! Have you experienced any culture shock since you've been there and how did you handle it?

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

It sounds beautiful in Chester! Have you experienced any culture shock since you've been there and how did you handle it?

-Amanda Anthony

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home