Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Alex O - Sicily, Italy - Spring 2014

Hello all Study Abroad candidates! My name is Alex, I like you was at a point where I was considering going abroad, and the only advice I can offer is this: DO IT! I am almost two months into my semester in Sicily, and this has been something out of a dream. Traveling halfway across the globe has a profound impact on the way you process and receive information both academically and culturally, this became clear to me the first week of classes here. While attending regular class, I am constantly learning during my free time. The language barrier is not as bad as I first thought, it took me a while to gain the confidence to just take the initiative to try and talk to the locals and I found that they are salt of the earth, kindly people. The city in which I'm staying is from the 7th century B.C. so while I'm not a huge architecture buff, I'm quickly becoming aquatinted with ancient structures from Greek, Roman, Norman, and Spanish history. The food is immaculate here, and the cost of living rather low if you shop smart (which is a valuable skill you should start practicing now) and avoid frivolous goods. This is only a portion of the joy and discovery I've been exposed to thus far and I cannot appreciate the decision I made to come abroad anymore than I do now! I hope to hear from any and all of you with any questions about your own abroad experience! Ci vediamo! 

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CPP 250

Melissa Betance

Hello Alex!

It sounds like you are having an amazing time and only makes me want to study away more. Although I am studying in Spain in the fall, I do plan making a trip to Italy! How is traveling? Are you easily able to make enough time to and make friends who want to do the trips with you? And of course you must give me your opinion of some of the best go-to places and eateries!

Thanks and enjoy your time!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Alex,

Greetings from Jaclyn from CPP 250,
I was wondering if you had culture shock and if so how was that? Are you adjusted yet or is it still a shock to you? Hope your having fun!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Alex Matkovic said...

Hi Alex!
It sounds like you're having a great time in Italy! I'm currently enrolled in CPP 250 and I was wondering if you had 2 tips regarding either selecting classes or adapting to academic differences in a foreign country! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your time abroad, I"m very much looking forward to mine next semester!
-Alex Matkovic

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex!
Italy sounds amazing! I'm studying abroad in Murcia, Spain next semester and was wondering what your experience with culture shock has been like. I hope you continue to enjoy your experience abroad!
-Libby Stephens

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alex!

Sicily sounds amazing! You seem to be having a wonderful time abroad and easily adapting to the culture. I was wondering if you experienced any culture shock during your two months there and if so, how have you handled it and what has helped with it?

-Darinka

3:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Alex,

Italy sounds awesome and I have always wanted to travel there. I am studying in Dublin next fall with 10 other students in the nursing program. My biggest concern is adjusting to the different education system overseas. Did you find this somewhat of a challenge, or was the transition relatively smooth?

Thanks in advance

Brandon

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex!!
Sounds like you are having a great time over there. I will be in Sicily as well, in a month, I can't wait! I believe I will be the only one from the class going there, which makes me a little nervous, but I look forward to it. How is it so far? Is it easy to get around Sicily? How about your classes? Any advice you can give me for when I get there?

Isabel Vazquez
CPP 250

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me the best way to travel around Europe. Would you recommend trains/planes a combination of both or what?

Thanks,

William Hoff

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home