Monday, September 28, 2009

Laura R. - Salamanca, Spain - Fall 2009

I couldn’t believe it; I was in Madrid again! It’s very exciting to come back and spend a longer time in Spain. It’s going to be a good semester, my luggage was not lost like in January, that’s a good sign and we made it safely to our hostel.
Although I am super excited to stay in Salamanca for almost four months, I still feel a bit nervous. My biggest worries is not much cultural shocked nor homesick, is actually getting things done for graduate school. That’s the one worry that has haunted me since I left home; all thru that long and uncomfortable flight. Other than stressing for graduate school applications, I also want to focus on other aspects in this experience, such as meeting new people other than those in our program, traveling to other cities in Spain, expanding my vocabulary, and reading more than one book in Spanish.
We spend three days in Madrid, so the countdown to meet my host family was very intense. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, and I was growing impatient and at the same time regretting coming here. Once we arrived to Salamanca, our families were waiting for us; I peeked out the window and wondered out of all the families which one is mine. I finally met my family; they were heartwarming and immediately treated us like they have known us for years. This reassured my feelings about staying in Salamanca; I knew taking things step by step everything will fall into place. I know this semester is going to be a great time, and adjusting won’t be as hard people tell me is going to be.

This is the cathedral of Salamanca, at least the gothic side. We have classes in the buildings around the cathedral, so I see it every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home