Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Austin H. - Madrid, Spain - Spring 2013


Hola Tios y Tias, 
I've been here in Madrid for about a month and half now and it has been by far the best experience of my life!I'm excited for all of you and your future adventures. I started off on a great foot and haven't left it yet..I know Alice will tell you about the "Ups and Downs," you might have.. but it's all in your control! This experience is what you make it! If you are tired, suck it up and go out, EXPLORE, get lost for a bit! You won't regret it. 
As far as THE thing to bring…MONEY MONEY MONEY…it's really hard for me to just watch money go out the door with no income while I'm abroad but don't let that scare you. Start saving yesterday, and if you really have to take a loan out, take it from your parents. Don't let money be the reason you don't do something while you're abroad. 
Other things to bring; Money, Q-Tips, tissues and chapstick. That is all my recommendations! 

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask on here or add me on FaceBook or if you prefer email me, just ask Alice for my e-mail address.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My man Austin, what do you think is a reasonable amount to have saved for the semester?

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin,

That is very good advice for the future traveler. I have a decent amount saved up, but what is the best way to carry that money? Debit card? Prepaid cards that you get over there? Cash? What's your opinion?

Jenna S. CPP250

1:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damon and Jenna,

Hi guys, thanks for the post.

I don't want to freak you guys out about the money part but it really depends on your spending habits and if you're in a homestay or not.

I'm in a homestay so I am provided with a guarantee of 2 meals a day sometimes even 3 (My parents are great and are taking care of me.) If you want to travel you will want to bring more and you need to book your travels ASAP it will be much cheaper!

While you're here do as much as you can, travel as much as you can and don't let money be the issue just be smart about it. I set up a budgeting plan when I got here, organized money for Food, Travel and Leisure for each month. That helped a lot.

Damon,
I would bring at least $1,500-$2,000.
-You can find ways to make money too. I know I probably shouldn't be telling you this haha. I was offered a club promoting job and I have know people who have worked in restaurants or bars. It's also a great way to learn the local language.

Jenna,
Check with your bank in the states on the ATM withdrawal fees and the charging percent per transaction. I use a credit union back in Arizona and they charge 1% to my debit card every time I charge it and it's about 2-4 euros charge every time I withdrawal from an ATM.

If you're going to take this route try to take large amounts at a time from the ATM and store the money you're not spending in your chonie drawer out of sight and out of mind. Also, I'd suggest keeping a note of how much is in the drawer and your plan for spending it.
-Arrive with Euros so when you land you can pay for a taxi or food ect.

Hope that helped you guys!

Gracias-buenos suerte,

Austin

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home