Monday, September 30, 2013

Jenna B. - Worms, Germany - Fall 2013

The reasons to study abroad are endless, and not only will it change your life, but you might change as well along the way. My experience studying in Worms, Germany has been amazing. I am learning how to live on my own and communicate with all sorts of diverse people. I feel so blessed to have been able to have this opportunity. The reason why I chose Worms was to be apart of something new. Myself and Chris both decided to travel to Worms for our study abroad experience. We wanted to be enrolled at a campus similar to Elmhurst and we wanted to be with mostly locals and international students rather than Americans. For us this was a chance of a lifetime. I work full time and pay for my education, so it’s been so rewarding to be able to sit on my balcony and look out at the huge cathedral and enjoy just being. I have done things I never would have imagined I’d do. I’ve gone swimming in the Rhine river, I’ve gone site seeing to the Heidelberg Castle, I’ve been shopping in Mannheim, I went on an excursion with the university to Berlin and went to Berghain the number one greatest club in Germany. I have met so many friends both internationals like myself and Germans. Everyone has been so gracious and thoughtful. It feels like we fit right in. Many Germans and other internationals are very excited to talk to us to practice their English. Chris and I even thought about tutoring some Germans to help them more with their English. It gives us the opportunity to make new friends and learn some German, and it gives them the chance to improve on their English. Before I left, I felt like getting abroad was never going to happen because there was so much to prepare for. It may feel unorganized and sporadic, but trust me it will all work itself out in the end. If you forget something it’s not the end of the world you will learn to live without it or find something like it here. My biggest advice to you would be to stay open minded and if you’re invited to go somewhere or to do something don’t hesitate, just do it! Go with the flow and learn, laugh and enjoy this amazing adventure.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna!
It sounds like you're having an amazing time and reading your post has me even more excited to go abroad this spring! I'm so nervous, but I think you're right, it will be nice to just be and enjoy a new experience even if it's a bit scary at first.

Abbie Teague, CPP250

2:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi from CPP 250 Kirstie Waugh

I almost decided to go to worms Germany, but chose Austria, Vienna instead. I hope I am making the right decision. I am going abroad to learn my German fluently. Do you have any suggestions on how to perfect my German speaking skills? Also, did you choose to travel on your own a lot, or did you have someone to go with? What did you do in order to meet German natives and hang out with them?

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna,

It is so amazing that you have got to do so many new things already, in such a short time! I too want to experience as much as I can during the semester abroad but I am a little worried how all of the new experiences will fit in with classes. I hope you continue to have a great time and I look forward to reading your future posts!
Elyse C. CPP 250

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Jenna Bourbon said...

where are you planning on studing abrad?

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Jenna Bourbon said...

Hey Kirstie!
I would say in order to perfect your German skills surround yourself with People who speak German. It is nice here at Worms because almost no locals speak English so it would give you the opportunity to really test your skills. When it comes to traveling I have someone who I travel with. For me it seems more safe to travel with someone. I do not have a German sim card so I need to get on that. If you have a sim card then you should be fine traveling on your own. if you do not have one I would suggest go with a friend or someone you feel good about traveling with. I enrolled in a class and most of the People in it where German. There where some exchange students as well. I noticed the other exchange students where not talking to the Germans they where staying together. I decided to start talking to the Germans and they invited me to parties and I really got to know them. I would suggest to just put yourself out there and be outgoing and hang out with the locals as much as you can!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jenna,
It is Samantha. We emailed a little back and forth- I was the one asking you questions about Worms! I 100% made the decision to go. I am so excited and I appreciate all the help you provided me! I am beyond thrilled and I cannot wait. Your experience abroad sounds amazing!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Sharon Chin said...

Hi Jenna, it's really cool to hear your story in German. I wondered, was there any hardships in communicating with people there. when I visited Germany, people could speak basic English, but I wonder if living there would've been different. Great blog. Thank you.

Sharon Chin

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home