Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Carmen S - Gold Coast, Australia - Spring 2014

Hello from Australia!

My name is Carmen and I am currently spending the semester at Griffith University in Gold Coast.  I live a block away from the beach in Sufers Paradise, Queensland where I relax at almost everyday.  My experience has been undescribable so far.  My first few days were in Brisbane, where we walked along the river and through the Botanical Gardens.  It was the most beautiful city I've ever been to.  Jessica and I then flew up to Cairns for orientation where we went scuba diving (I touched a sea turtle and got stung by a jellyfish but it was totally worth it!), hung out with Kangaroos and Koalas in the Rainforestation, and hiked through the Botanical Gardens.  I highly recommend going to Cairns, it was well worth the trip and there were so many things to do there!  Jessica and I later went to Sydney for the weekend!  Although it was raining the whole time and I didnt pack well, we still were able to see everything we wanted to in the short amount of time.  Bondi Beach was only an hour bus ride from Sydney and that was probably my favorite part because it was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen.  We then hiked through the Blue Mountains where I was attack by leeches and we saw the 3 Sisters, still worth it. 
 Lately, Ive been doing my best to stay focused on my school work in this beautiful weather.  I tried Kangaroo meat and LOVED it.  A group of us also took surfing lessons last week and I just signed up to become a licensed scube diver!  
We plan on traveling to New Zealand soon and hopefully see more of Australia.  I've loved every second of the trip so far and I cant wait to see what else I can see and learn!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carmen,

It is sounds you are having a awesome time in Australia. I want to go visit Australia sometime. In the fall I'm going to be Studying in Dublin, Ireland. Have you developed any culture shock while you have been in Australia?

-Megan

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmen!
Australia sounds amazing! I am studying in New Zealand in the fall, so I hope to visit Australia as well. What are the main cultural differences you noticed? Do you have any advice to adjust to the new culture and not stick out as an American?

Thanks,
Rachael K

3:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Megan,
I actually never went through a major culture shock here. Obviously there are some differences but it was pretty easy to adjust to. There are people here from Ireland and they havent seen been through a major culture shock either so I'm sure that youll adjust easily!

Rachael,
Im actually visiting New Zealand for two weeks starting this weekend! I dont know how similar New Zealand is to Australia yet, I could let you know later this month if you still have questions. I think if you are just willing to learn and try new things you will have an easy time adjusting. As for sticking out as an American, its almost impossible because the second you start talking, they know youre from the states. Thats probably the hardest part because you live here but youre still treated as a tourist. Just make sure to stay as involved as you can with activities, etc and youll have an amazing time!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carmen.

That's quite a fantastic picture of you playing a didgeridoo, I must say. I'm sure you made music serene enough to subdue animals.

I suppose I am interested in knowing how you've found the Australian culture---how was it for you in the way of culture shock but also, how connected do you feel to the culture now?

Best,
Lee
CPP 250

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmen.
It sounds like a great place to visit. I will be in Sicily for the summer, and I will be taking scuba diving lessons too. I am really excited! How is Australia? How was your culture shock, if any? Any advice you would give me while my time studying abroad?
Isabel Vazquez
CPP 250

12:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Carmen,
Australia looks awesome. I really want to visit at some point in my life! I am traveling to Dublin as well this fall, and my question for you is what was your biggest challenge with your study abroad experience thus far?

Thanks!

Brandon

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Carmen,

Loved reading your blog, I am planning on studying in Sydney in Spring 2014 so reading this is really helping! What would be one piece of advice you wish you would of known before you went? Looks like you're having a great time:)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carmen,

It sounds like you had an awesome time in Australia! I'm going there in the spring and I was wondering if you had any types of culture shock when you went abroad?

Thank you,
John

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmen,

It sounds like you had a great time which gets me even more excited for my semester in Sydney, Australia. What kinds of clothes did you find yourself needing? I know you said that you didnt pack well. What clothes and shoes do you suggest me packing?

Thanks,
Jessica F

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home