Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Bethany P. - Ecuador - Fall 2009

In the six weeks I have been in Ecuador, riding the bus has been consistently the most culturally informative activity of my study abroad experience. Although I have no statistical evidence, I believe that every one of the approximately million and half inhabitants of Quito ride the bus every day. This is most apparent while waiting for the bus. I quickly learned that there are no lines in Ecuador, only crowds. The two opposing masses of people trying to enter or exit the bus push and squeeze past each other desperately hoping to reach their destination before the bus driver gets tired of waiting and closes the doors.
I ride the bus nearly everywhere I go in Quito. The university is located in a valley suburb of the city, and it takes me three buses and about an hour to get to school in the morning. The view of the mountains from the bus on a clear day is breathtaking. The view inside the bus is often equally remarkable. It is quite common to see vendedores selling anything from food to stickers to closet organizers on the buses. Their sales pitches are well practiced and almost musical. Even the bus drivers’ assistants use a distinctive rhythm and melody when they call out the destinations of their routes to the people on the street.
I also take the bus to my volunteer job that is part of the IPSL program. The organization I work for is called FENOCIN, and roughly translated it stand for a confederation of Ecuadorian organizations for farmers, indigenous people, and Afro-Ecuadorians. I love my job because, among other reasons, it is only place other than the bus that I see such a diverse group of people. FENOCIN works on a number of issues including leadership development, food sovereignty, agro-ecology, and any number of human rights issues. My own project is a campaign to end violence against women, something I have mercifully not witnessed on the bus.
This weekend I took a six-or-so-hour (another element of Ecuadorian culture that becomes apparent on the bus is the relaxed orientation toward time) bus ride to the beach. The buses are the cheapest, if not the fastest, way to travel around Ecuador. They go everywhere in the country, save the Galapagos Islands. Again, the view from the bus was astounding. In this single trip we saw everything from the volcanoes Pichincha and Cotopaxi near Quito to lush hills throughout the coast of the Pacific Ocean. The vendedores were out in full force on the buses, selling coconut juice in bags and rows of hamburgers out of a plastic tub. A container full of chicken, rice, and fried bananas proved too tempting, and many of us learned the hard way that it is better not to eat chicken from a bus.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Beth,
I am glad that everthing is wonderful in Ecuador. Continue to enjoy EVERY moment, soak it all in and learn something new everyday. I know that your Spanish must be improving significantly.
Un abrazo
Angelica Cardoso

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany!
I am studying abroad in Ecuador next spring through ISPL as well! I'm so excited that I found someone who is currently in Ecuador that I can ask all my questions to! (just kidding....kind of) I am in the study abroad class right now and we are just starting to talk about signing up for classes. Do you have any tips for how to go about this through IPSL? What classes are you taking? Thanks so much! Continue to have an amazing time!
-Hannah Schmitz

10:48 PM  
Blogger kathryn E said...

Hi Bethany,

(I have a cousin named that!)
I'm going to be studying abroad in the Spring, so I'll most likely be reading many, if not all of, your blogs. What classes are you taking? Any recomendations? Also, what are some tips for scheduling classes? I'm in the IPSL program as well, so I'd like to think about how best to schedule my classes with my community service in mind.
Thanks!

Kathryn Engelsdorfer

11:23 PM  
Blogger kathryn E said...

Hi Bethany,

(I have a cousin named that!)
I'm going to be studying abroad in the Spring, so I'll most likely be reading many, if not all of, your blogs. What classes are you taking? Any recomendations? Also, what are some tips for scheduling classes? I'm in the IPSL program as well, so I'd like to think about how best to schedule my classes with my community service in mind.
Thanks!

Kathryn Engelsdorfer

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

I hope all of your preparations for study abroad are going well!

The classes I am taking are:
Organizaciones y Desarrollo, which is required for all IPSL student; Intermediate Spanish, Ecuadorian Short Stories, Evolution of Jazz, and Yoga. I decided to take one class in English because with a full load of classes and approximately 12 hours of service each week, I wanted one easy class. The benefit of this class is that there are not very many gringos. All of the Ecuadorian and Latinamerican history and/or anthropology classes here have a lot of international students which makes it harder to meet Ecuadorians. IPSL requires a Spanish class (which is very helpful!) and highly recommends a class in Ecuadorian cultural of some kind. That really only leaves one or two electives. Another thing to consider is that you will need several large blocks of time to do your service. Remember, also that travel time here is way longer than in the U.S. But don't worry too much, almost everyone changes their schedule once they get here.

Good luck with everything! IPSL is probably one of the harder programs because you have to go to school full time and work, but it is worth it. Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Bethany

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany! I am studying abroad in Ecuador next spring and I was just wonderring about the money situation. How much money did you bring with you? How much do meals cost that aren't provided by our homestay? How much would you say is a good amount to bring with me? Thanks! -Hannah

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,

I brought with my about $2000. I think it will be sufficient, but just barely. Here are some things to keep in mind:

Food costs vary greatly. You can get a full meal for $1.50 at local almuerzo places, but you don´t get to choose your meal, and you might end up eating tongue. You can eat out anywhere usually under $5.

How much traveling is included in your program? IPSL does not include a trip to the Galapagos, which is something I really wanted to do. The plane ticket alone is about $500, and costs on the islands are higher than on the mainland because it is almost exclusively a tourist spot. Otherwise, traveling around the country is fairly inexpensive. The most costly bus ticket is probably about $15 and you can always find a reasonably priced hostal.

Definitely include enough money in your budget for traveling. Ecuador is a beautiful country and you should see as much of it as you can while you are here!

Hope this helps,

Bethany

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home