Monday, October 29, 2007

Carissa - Australia - Fall 2007

Good Day, mates! My name is Carissa Cheney and I am studying at theUniversity of Melbourne in Australia. Melbourne is a gorgeous andcomfortable city. There is so much to see and do in this city alone. Itis also a nice location for other traveling within Australia. I wouldhighly reccommend it to anyone wanting to travel in Australia. Theweather hear is just getting to perfect. Today it was 30 degrees celciuswhich I think would convert back somewhere about 75-80.I have had the opportunity to live at Whitley College. It is most closelylike what we would call a dorm. However, they have a lot more events andfunctions. There are also many organizations within the Colleges that youcan participate in. I live at one of the smallest colleges (131 students)so I have been able to get to know everyone hear. It is a close knit,welcoming atmosphere and there is never time to get bored. I have had mybest memories here and have had the best opportunites. I have been ableto go home with many of my Aussie friends to visit and meet theirfamilies. Its been wonderful to get out of the city and also to enjoysome good home cooking. I am excited because I bought my ticket to theMelbourne Cup today. Its the biggest horse race in Australia and takesplace in a little less than 2 weeks. It is racing season here - which isa big deal - people get very dressed up and it is an all day affair.The biggest academic change has been the grading system - as it hasdefinately taken some getting used to. Grading here is much moredifficult than that of the States. They use more of a bell curve andinstead of A, B, C, D, F they use H1, H2A, H2B, H3, P, N. Their wholeeducation system is very different from that at Elmhurst. Being at alarge University has also been an adjustment, but I have enjoyed andlearned a lot from it. I am ecstatic that you all have decided to studyabroad as well. It is an experience unlike any other. I recommend thatno matter where you are going - you don't stay in a safety group ofAmericans, but rather get to know people your age from that country -afterall that is what you are there for and it will definately enhanceyour trip! Cheers!Carissa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are the classes? Were you able to take classes for your major or did you end up taking electives?

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classes were very similar to my classes at home. Less written homework and tests throughout the semester though. We had a lot of reading and the emphasis was on midterm and final exams.

I'm a theatre and english double major. While in Thailand I was a thai and southeast asian studies major. There was not a lot of overlap between the two. I did get some gen eds out of it and elective credit.

Michael

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home